Preparing For Your Bed Bug Heat Treatment
Preparing for your heat treatment
Treating Bedbugs with heat is the most effective and toxic-free way to kill all of the bugs and eggs so that you or your customers can get back to peaceful, bite-free sleep. However, in order to guarantee a successful treatment, we will need your help in preparing a few things before we arrive with the bed bug heater. Many of these things are to protect your personal belonging from the high temperatures used during the bed bug heat treatment, and the rest will help make sure heat gets everywhere a bug might be. If you have any questions while preparing, please give us a call. If we find that the property has not been prepared, we won’t be able to guarantee the treatment. The success of this process requires both of us to work diligently together.
Steps to take before we can get rid of your bed bugs:
- All clothes and bedding need to be put in the dryer on high for at least 20 minutes. Then they should be placed in a trash bag, sealed tight, and placed in a bath tub if possible.
- Clothes that are on hangers can be left as long as they aren’t packed too tightly in the closet.
- Bedding can be hung over doors and will be heat treated during our process.
- Turn off alarms, take alarms off line if monitored, and remove batteries from smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.
- Unplug all electronics.
Things that need to be removed:
- Oil Paintings
- VHS Tapes
- Cassette Tapes
- Arts and crafts that are glued together
- Any pressurized tank ie; aerosol (i.e. hair spray, cooking oil, etc.), spray paint, oxygen tanks, and butane
- Plastic picture frames
- Candles, crayons
- Plastic blinds
- Guns and ammunition
Any items being removed from a known area of bed bugs should be wiped down and cleaned before removing them to storage so that you don’t accidentally bring the bugs back in.
Remove or put the following in the refrigerator:
- Medications (prescriptions and over the counter)
- You should also remove all jewelry, cash, heirlooms and other valuables. There will be a specialized bed bug exterminator at your property at all times during treatment but, for peace of mind, it’s a good idea to secure these items.
On the morning of your treatment please try and leave all bags, coats, and extra belongings behind so they can be treated. You should have a set of clean clothes that have been treated in the dryer that you will remove from a sealed plastic bag and put on just before leaving. The idea is to leave with just what you absolutely need so we can treat everything and minimize the chance of reintroducing any bed bugs back into the treatment area.
When you return you may notice clothes that have been moved or spread out, your mattresses will be up on end. Any plastic blinds will be taken down or secured up, and furniture may be moved. In some cases, several items have been moved and this is all part of making sure that we get the right heat into the right areas. We will do a walk through with you prior to treatment to verify most things have already been moved and we will be as careful as possible if we do need to move anything. However, we will not move large or valuable items and A2B Solutions is not responsible for anything that is broken during treatment of your property.